Silver and Flatware/Towle Candlelight

My grandmother's set of Towle Candlelight silver flatware includes markings of the Towle lion, along with the words "TOWLE STERLING" - all embossed - on the backside. The word "Candlelight" is embossed, in raised lettering, as well. I'm looking around to fill out her set, which was left to me after she passed away. Some of the pieces I see online also have an embossed "Pat.1934" on the back, with "Candlelight" engraved, not embossed. Can you tell me the difference between these two marks? I think I understand that this pattern was manufactured from 1934 until 2009, so is it a matter of when the piece was manufactured? I'm attempting to fill out her set with the closest matches possible. Thank you for your time.

The patent date was often placed on pieces in the years just after the patent was issued. Once the patent expired, many manufacturers stopped placing the patent date on pieces. With respect to "Candlelight", I do not know when Towle used the different methods. With respect to quality, you probably will not be able to detect much difference based solely on date of manufacturer. If you are considering buying pieces on eBay (a good source), make sure the seller offers a good return policy so that if you are not satisfied, you can return pieces. Also, make sure they have a high feedback number and a rating very near 100%.

When I was in the business, I sold mostly on eBay.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland