Silver and Flatware/Candlestick Origin

CandleStick I
CandleStick I  

Candle Stick II
Candle Stick II  
I have 2 grapevine candlesticks a little over 5" tall.  On the bottom of both they are stamped MADE E.P.B. Spain.  On the bottom of one there are what I believe are the letters LIMSTRE.  

I know that E.P.B is a form of silverplate.  Can you describe what that means?  Also any idea about the LIMSTRE - a make name, a city or region name perhaps?

Thanks for your help

I'm afraid I don't know much here. The "EP" means "electroplated". The "B" might mean "brass" or "Britannia metal" or something else. Britannia metal is an alloy used in making pieces like this and was often electroplated with a coat of silver.

Limestre is a community in Italy. I cannot say if that is what is referenced here. I believe it's safe to say the pieces were made in Spain.

It looks like some of the plating has worn off so the value probably is not great.

Sorry I could not help much.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland