You are here:

Silver and Flatware/What is this odd piece of silverware?


Silverware piece
Silverware piece  
While I was going through Mom's silverware box I found an odd shaped piece and can't figure out what it was used for.  Piece is marked: WM A ROGERS A1 - PAT 1903
piece is approx 8 1/2" and looks somewhat like a iced tea spoon except there is a huge hole in the middle of spoon part and has 2 prongs sticking out of the top

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,


I believe this is an olive spoon. Most olive spoons look different but a few have this look. Sometimes they come with shorter handles. Your piece is made of silver plate. You might be able to identify your pattern here: .

FYI, The "Wm. A. Rogers" brand is now owned by Oneida so you may find your pattern listed under that name by some sellers. Also, just to add confusion, the "Wm. Rogers" brand is from a totally different company and is now owned by International Silver Company.

Best wishes,


Silver and Flatware

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim Stringer


I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........


Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland

©2017 All rights reserved.