Silver and Flatware/damaged silver flatware help?

My girlfriend is in tears. She went out of town while her kitchen was being painted - and put her mother's silver service of 10 in it's flatware divider container, and then, hang on, put it in the oven to protect it from the painters.

Yep, when she came home a week later the oven was on full broil, house at 87 degrees, and needless to say, mom's treasures are now wrapped in the melted plastic (or??) former flatware container. Apparently the sliver pcs themselves have not fused together, rather they are snuggly enmeshed in the melted tray.

Do you know of some angel that is capable of recovering these family treasures?

Wow, this is a new one on me!

I don't have anything to suggest. Perhaps the folks at can help. They have a large silver repair facility. Even if they can't help, they might know of someone who can help. Send them an email.

best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland