Silver and Flatware/Mirrorstele

I picked up a large set off reed and barton silverware set.  There is no indication of sterling on the set, but days mirrorstele on the knifes only rest of set just is stamped reed and barton.  Only the knife end of the silver is magnetic the rest of the set is non-magnetic with that indicate that it possibly could be sterling silver thank you is there any other indicators I can tell it's sterling

The knife blades are made of stainless steel, a common practice in the industry. Mirrorstele is just Reed and Barton's trade name.

Any sterling made by R&B will have the word, "Sterling", on the back of forks and spoons. If it's not there, the set probably is silver plate or maybe all pieces are made of stainless steel. Look at both sterling and silver plate R&B patterns at this site to try to identify your set: .

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland