Silver and Flatware/Question about a signature

S Kirk & Son Signature
S Kirk & Son Signature  
Hi Jim! Thanks for volunteering.

I know what I have here: a footed repousse bowl by S. Kirk and Son. The maker's mark includes "32F". It's a twin of this:

My question is twofold: I'm seeing this priced from $170 to over $1000 online. Even when I sort for a slightly different marking (say, 229F, or 418A) and focus only on 32F, the spectrum is huge. What accounts for that?

Second: mine has an etched signature next to the maker's mark. Best I can make out, it's "RPUA AHOA". I've searched on that, and on variations of that, and can't find anything. The identical bowls I've found on the internet don't mention or show a comparable signature (if that's what it is!).

Can you help me on either question?

32F pretty clearly defines this specific bowl based on what I've found. I cannot account for the price range, especially for the $170 price. As you pointed out, one bowl is for sale now for $775. It appears that the same type of bowl sold on Hong Kong eBay in June for $400. Somewhere between these to is probably the appropriate price.

I have no idea what the hand-marked symbols mean. Owners sometimes mark pieces with a code to indicate who owns the piece.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland