Silver and Flatware/Reed & Barton gold set with box - 46 piece value

Whole set
Whole set  

I was going through the belongings of a deceased loved one and I found this gorgeous set of flatware. I would just like to know a little more about it, including the value.

It is a 46 pc set with the wooden box. Each piece reads "Reed & Barton" on the back, and the shell shaped spoon reads "Reed & Barton Stainless", while the shiny ends of the knives are engraved with "Reed & Barton Mirrorstele".

Some of the pieces have very very minor scuff from where they sit against each other in the box, but are only noticeable if looking very very closely, and the box itself has some light scuffs on the exterior only.

I can't find much information about these pieces online, as they are likely over 30 years old.

Let me know if there is any other info that I can provide that would tell you more about this beautiful set.

Thank you for your time and expertise!

Sterling flatware manufactured by Reed & Barton will have the word, "Sterling", on the backs of the forks, spoons and other pieces with similar handles. In the case of your set, the word is missing so we have to assume construction is either silver plate or stainless steel. The shell-shaped spoon is a strong indication that the entire set is stainless steel. The "Mirrorstele" trademark refers to the knife blades only.

Silver plate and stainless steel sets do not hold their value very well. An individual selling such a set could probably expect around one dollar or two per piece, maybe a bit more for serving pieces. The gold tone does not add much value.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland