Silver and Flatware/Silver plated teapot

Teapot full
Teapot full  

Bottom of teapot
Bottom of teapot  
Hello, I recently purchased an Acme silver company Toronto teapot from a thrift store and am wondering about its age and value. It also looks like there is bone or ivory in the handle, and the number on the bottom says 26. Judging from similar acme products I have found online I am thinking it is a lot number? If you could give me any information about it I would greatly appreciate it:)

Thank you!

According to my reference books, Acme Silver Co. was in business in Toronto between 1885 and 1893. It was sold to Standard Silver Co. of Toronto which later merged with other companies to form International Silver Company in 1898. Acme was known for manufacturing silver plate products. Since the word, "Sterling", does not appear on your teapot, we can safely assume it's made of silver plate.

If Acme followed the practice other companies used, the "26" is a pattern or catalog number. Silver plate pieces do not hold value very well but because of its interesting design, your teapot might be worth slightly more. I estimate a value of $35 to $65 when sold by an individual. This assumes all the plating is intact. You may find similar Acme pieces being offered at higher prices but I always look at actual sales to get price comparisons.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland