Single Parenting/single parent

Question
Hi there, I have a 2 year old boy.  His biological father has never been in the picture, I did notify him but he did not want to be involved, and I choose not to make him pay child support, just a clean break, and my question is, at what age do I explain to my son about his biological dad.  He will eventually ask me, mommy why don't I have a daddy?  And it's like I want to be honest, I don't want to ever bad mouth him but at the same time I don't want to give him false hope.  What do I do?

Answer
Hi, katie, thanks for your question. You asked, "t what age do I explain to my son about his biological dad"?

The answer is - at every age. But, the more important question is "what do you tell him?" The answer to that is that what (and how) you tell him should be appropriate to his age.

Even more importantly, is to keep the door open. If you make a 'clean break', on your side, as you say, then your son will eventually resent you. He will wonder why you closed the door, when there might have been a chance, later on, that his dad might have changed his mind.  

Single Parenting

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.