Skydiving (w/ Parachutes)/Parachutes Project

Question
Hello Mr. Poynter.

I am a middle schooler from New Jersey and I am doing a project on dropping parachutes with different amounts of washers attached to it. I have a few questions about parachutes and aerodynamics itself. I am very grateful for you taking your time out to answer my questions. I apologize if it is very lengthy.

First, how does a parachute actually work?

Does the size of a parachute have to be proportional to the load of the parachute? By this I mean does the diameter have to be in proportion with the load; is there a formula?

Do weight and mass affect gravity effects? By this I mean does the weight or mass of something affect its airtime?

Next, Does the weight and mass of something affect its lateral movement?

Thank you so much in advance for answering my questions. I really hope that you can answer my question.

Answer
Drag. And, if you increase the size – drag – the rate of descent will decrease.

It depends on the rate of descent you wish to achieve. Generally, the larger the canopy, the slower the descent.

On the other hand, you should consider weight and volume of the packed parachute.

Weight, yes.

No. The wind and canopy design do.

See
http://parapub.com/sites/parachute/resources/leaps.cfm

Skydiving (w/ Parachutes)

Dan Poynter