Sleep Apnea/HELP!! My husband was fired. PLEASE RESPOND ASAP

Roy wrote at 2015-05-24 07:57:58

Roy Ijams   

Roy Ijams, Roy Ijams

Jun 7, 2013  

By: Martha Garcia | Published: April 15th, 2013

Nearly two dozen universities failed to properly warn parents that a national oxygen study may put their premature infants at risk, federal officials say.

According to a letter (PDF) issued by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to the University of Alabama at Birmingham, the lead institution in the study, research institutions involved in the study did not offer informed consent to the parents of the premature infants.

The study involved 1,300 premature infants between 24 to 27 weeks of gestation. Researchers evaluated the results of increased or decreased oxygen through a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) treatment to determine the levels of oxygen saturation and neurological effects on premature infants.

According to the letter, the institutions involved were aware of the potential adverse affects the treatment may have on the infants, including blindness and even death. The DHHS Office of Human Research Protection says the institutions had sufficient evidence to know such treatment may cause serious consequences, but never properly informed parents participating in the study about the potential risks. The office considers the failing a violation of regulatory requirements for informed consent.

The study took place between 2004 and 2009 and 130 infants of 654 in the low oxygen level group died, while 91 of 509 infants in the high oxygen group developed a serious eye problem, which can result in blindness.

The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2010, was financed by the National Institutes of Health and involved 23 high profile Universities, such as Stanford, Duke and Yale.

The consent form only mentioned risks involving abrasion of the infants skin, and claimed there was a potential benefit of decreased need for eye surgery if the infant was assigned to a certain oxygen level group.

DHHS officials say the consent form should have highlighted that the risks of the trial were not the same as the risks of receiving standard care, so parents could make a more informed decision.

Roy wrote at 2015-05-24 08:16:08

Lake Forest man accused of investment scam pleads guilty

Exec used sleep disorder business to finance lavish lifestyle, authorities say

October 03, 2012|By Cynthia Dizikes, Chicago Tribune reporter

•Kenneth Dachman is shown in the Loop in 2010 after a meeting with an attorney. He pleaded guilty Wednesday to wire fraud related to an investment scam.

Kenneth Dachman is shown in the Loop in 2010 after a meeting with an attorney. He pleaded guilty Wednesday to wire fraud related to an investment scam. (Chris Walker, Chicago Tribune)

For years, Kenneth Dachman financed a lavish lifestyle — a Lake Forest mansion, a new Land Rover and cruises — by duping investors in his sleep disorder business, according to federal prosecutors.  The investors alleged it was all part of the north suburban businessman's well-worn game plan: woo people to his startups, spend much of the money on himself, declare bankruptcy to avoid paying off debts, then start all over again.

But Dachman, whose legal travails were the subject of a front-page Tribune story in 2010, took a more direct approach Wednesday when he pleaded guilty to wire fraud related to the sleep business scam.

"I choose to admit my guilt," Dachman said in a plea declaration filed with the court, "to being accountable for soliciting money from investors on the premise and condition that the money would be directed to the startup and nurturing of the business (Central Sleep) when in fact the majority of the money went to my personal benefit."

Dachman, 54, admitted that he took about $700,000 from June 2008 to July 2010 in bonuses and fees above a "reasonable salary," and that he made personal guarantees on investments without sufficient means to support them.

The Tribune found that over the past three decades, Dachman was sued more than 50 times for a variety of alleged scams, but most of the litigation involved relatively small amounts of money and he escaped the attention of criminal investigators.

Last year, however, federal authorities caught up with Dachman, charging him with 11 counts of wire fraud for allegedly scamming about $4 million from dozens of investors in his latest venture, the sleep disorder business.

Authorities charged that Dachman spent at least half the money on such items as buying a 2-acre Lake Forest mansion, collecting rare books and antiques, gambling in Las Vegas and traveling abroad.

Prosecutors said Dachman blew at least $2 million of the investors' money on his own expenses. In addition to the mansion and vacations to Italy and Alaska, Dachman spent more than $200,000 trading stocks and more than $180,000 to operate a Chicago tattoo parlor with his son-in-law, authorities said.

The indictment said that Dachman exaggerated his credentials, falsely claiming he held a Ph.D. from Northwestern University and padding the resumes of purported employees. He portrayed his son-in-law as a marketing whiz when, in fact, he was a tattoo artist, authorities said. He also boasted that his business, Central Sleep Diagnostics, was "on pace to be the most important and largest sleep diagnostic firm in the world," the indictment said.

Dachman's guilty plea acknowledged some of those misrepresentations.

"I am guilty of failing to make clear to investors my educational and graduate credentials," the declaration stated.

Dachman now faces up to 20 years in prison per count and a fine of $250,000 per count in addition to restitution to the victims.

He is scheduled to be sentenced in December.

Sleep Apnea

Dave J. (Scoop0901)

I can answer questions on sleep disorders, in general, and sleep apnea, specifically. I've been actively involved in providing direct support to individuals, family members, employers, and others on the topics of sleep and sleep disorders for more than six years, keep up-to-date on valid, peer-reviewed research, as well as treatment options.

I can answer general questions including, but not limited to polysomnography (PSG or sleep study) techniques; health issues associated with sleep apnea; compliance with a CPAP or BiPAP machine, mask selection and fitting; insurance coverage; ADA issues; and more, but cannot provide diagnosis over the internet.

Why can I answer only general questions? The question would be better asked why I will not answer specific questions. That's the easy part. Your health is unique, or, in redundant terms, "individually unique," meaning that while there's a lot of research that has been conducted in the world of sleep over the past few decades, there is none that can foretell any specific individual's future. What may hold true for your friend, for instance, may not be true for you. It's just like if both you and your best friend like to drive. You both want to own your own vehicles, having the freedom to move about a will, but your taste, your selection in vehicle is vastly different. For example, you may prefer an environmentally-friendly sub-compact car that gets 50 miles to the gallon, but your neighbor may prefer a H2 Hummer. The same holds true with health care issues. While one person may suffer issues X, Y, and Z, as fully supported by research, you may suffer issues D, T, and S, never experiencing anything the other person experienced.

As to my experience, let's start back on January 1, 2000, one of nine days I spent in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) unit of a Northeast Philadelphia hospital. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, along with a couple other sleep disorders, not to mention some very serious, very nasty health conditions related to many years of undiagnosed, therefore, untreated sleep disorders.

After somewhere around three months of fiddling with the equipment, adding a heated humidifier to the gear, and finding the right mask for me, I became 100 percent compliant with my BiPAP therapy. I have seemingly experienced what seems to be all the same, nay, all the classic problems everyone else who's ever used a CPAP, BiPAP, or other xPAP device has experienced, suffers. Things such as mask problems, humidification problems, among others.

I established a community education and support group, Awake in Philly, in Philadelphia, PA (USA), in May 2000, to help support and educate others about the true costs of sleep issues, including sleep disorders, sleep deprivation. We also work to educate the public, employers, and government and elected officials, as well as health care professionals about the dangers of these issues.

Since getting diagnosed, I've become a very vocal, very pro-active sleep activist, dedicated to helping others before they suffer the many woes that too often accompany untreated and undiagnosed sleep disorders and sleep deprivation.

In addition to working locally, I always think globally, yet act responsibly in all I do, yet have managed to extend the reach of my work nationally. I am involved with Awake In America, Inc., an all-volunteer national non-profit focused on sleep and sleep disorders. An all-volunteer organization is one where the people involved are committed to the efforts, and one in which no one is paid or compensated for their work with the organization, where all funds may be used for operations and actual work to fulfill the organization's missions. I know of no other non-profit corporation that can make that bold statement.

Awake In America was organized to assist others around the country to quickly and effectively launch support groups, but also to work on community awareness of sleep disorders, serve as an outreach source, among other issues. Awake In America also launched the only national xPAP Donation and Relief Program, which is designed to assist individuals without insurance or the financial means necessary, obtain equipment and supplies essential to treating diagnosed sleep apnea. We also have a national Sleep Study Relief Program, again, the first in the nation, and the only one of its kind in the nation.

Having spent more than 20 years as an investigative journalist and editor, I do careful, tedious research on all issues involving sleep and sleep disorders. I question everything in studies and reports, challenging findings, wanting to see if everything using strict scientific methods, uninfluenced by funding flowing from specific interest groups.

In the almost nine years of helping others, through Awake In Philly and Awake In America, as well as my personal blog on sleep, The Sleep Blog, I've done a tremendous amount of reading, much of which in the same books used to train sleep techs, as well as many of the same books that are on the shelves of many sleep specialists.

I've dealt with countless people, via email, instant messaging (IM), and on the phone, sometimes, basically doing the equivalent of providing a shoulder for them to lean or cry on. In the end, I offered ideas to help them overcome their challenges, and fortunately, I've been able to help a large majority of those people, but some required the hands-on, in-person approach of a physician or sleep specialist.