Sleep Apnea/Sleep Apnea

Question
I stayed overnight at a sleep center to be tested for sleep apnea and narcolepsy.  I was told I had neither.  However the doctor did mention I had a few episodes where I stopped breathing and one of those times was for 58 seconds!!  Obviously how is that possible without being indicative of sleep apnea.  I wake up with massive headaches everyday, I snore loudly, and I sometimes wake gasping.  I was thinking of requesting another test.  Let me know your thoughts on the "58" seconds though - it is baffling to me.
Thank you

Answer
Karen: your description of the results of your testing baffle me also, especially given your reported symptoms.  Fifty-eight second apnea(s) is a significant finding and one which would require clinical correlation.  Can you get a copy of your sleep test and if so, let me know so I can ask for some specific numbers off of it?

In the meantime, I encourage you to seek the advice of a sleep specialist (not associated with wherever you had the first test done) and subsequent testing at another facility.

Sleep Apnea

Dave Walsh RRT