Sleep Apnea/moderate

hello Dave : I was diagnosed with moderate apnea, today i asked for the test results to look over myself. i want to know if you agree with their assessment from the test data. i had a ahi of 23 , there were oxygen saturation as low as 84 percent, for 1.9 minutes the oxygen saturation went below 90. maximum heart beat was 84. i slept for about 5 hours , it was a home study. they think i need a cpap. i would like your opinion. i am not holding you to anything i just another opinion. thank you

Jerome:  the commonly accepted severity scale for AHI puts >20 as "moderate to severe" and treatment is considered to be warranted.  CPAP and OAT (oral appliance therapy) are the two most popular treatments for OSAS but you may benefit from a positional training device if the home sleep test shows you are having the respiratory disturbances mainly when you are on your back.

Sleep Apnea

Dave Walsh RRT

Registered Respiratory Therapist and Licensed Respiratory Care Practitioner (IL). Thirty-five years in the field of Respiratory Care with the last twenty-five years spent concentrating in the area of sleep disordered breathing. Established the first hospital based compact multiphysiologic recording program for the diagnosis and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS).

I'm proud to have built a comprehensive sleep disorders center in Chicago during the '80s and to then go on and build the first hospital based home sleep testing (HST) program in the country. I now own and operate Sleep Case Management, a Division of DRW&Associates Inc, providing sleep disorders case management services to physicians and their patients in northern IL along with providing home sleep testing and arrangements for in-lab sleep testing.

American Academy of Sleep Medicine, American Association for Respiratory Care

BSc (Biology), ASc (RT)