Sleep Apnea/cpap pressure

hi dave, how do you adjust the cpap pressure on my machine since i lost 50 pounds. i did weigh 380 and now i weigh 330. i have a philips respironics bipap pro system one machine. lately i have been getting only 5 hours sleep and i was wondering if my pressure needs adjusted. my ipap is 25 and my epap is 20. i would appreciate a detailed answer please and thank you.

Christopher:  please forgive this tardy response.  As for adjusting your machine's pressure level, I strongly discourage your doing so without a PAP titration in order to determine your current therapeutic pressure needs.  This is especially true with the BiPAP therapy it appears you currently are on.  Please seek out your PCP and ask for a script for a PAP titration and then see if you do indeed require a readjustment of your machine.

Sleep Apnea

Dave Walsh RRT

Registered Respiratory Therapist and Licensed Respiratory Care Practitioner (IL). Thirty-five years in the field of Respiratory Care with the last twenty-five years spent concentrating in the area of sleep disordered breathing. Established the first hospital based compact multiphysiologic recording program for the diagnosis and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS).

I'm proud to have built a comprehensive sleep disorders center in Chicago during the '80s and to then go on and build the first hospital based home sleep testing (HST) program in the country. I now own and operate Sleep Case Management, a Division of DRW&Associates Inc, providing sleep disorders case management services to physicians and their patients in northern IL along with providing home sleep testing and arrangements for in-lab sleep testing.

American Academy of Sleep Medicine, American Association for Respiratory Care

BSc (Biology), ASc (RT)