Sleep Apnea/5 hours on bipap

hi michael, im only getting 5 hours of sleep on my bipap machine. i know my machine needs adjusting and i have an appointment with my sleep doctor very soon. can you give any advice on what to do as far as getting more sleep on my bipap. also, i have lost 80 pounds since first starting the machine. i would very much appreciate your help. thanks.

Hi Christopher,

It is not that unusual to get less sleep with a CPAP/BiPAP machine because you should be getting a deeper than normal sleep. But that being said, the weight loss (Congrats) will change your required settings, so you are right there. Are you only able to sleep 5 hours total or only 5 hours with the mask on? If you are just getting 5 hours with the mask and a few hours without it, that's fine. But if you are only getting 5 hours total you might need to try something else. A few tricks I learned is going to sleep without the mask, (I don't sleep long without it) and after a few hours I wake up and then spent the rest of the night wearing it. You could try getting a new mask, they do wear out after time, Be sure all the filters are clean, etc. Try and keep good sleep hygiene.

Good luck and It hope this helps....Mike

Sleep Apnea

Michael Rush

I can answer questions relating to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep apnea. With a focus on use of CPAP and BiPAP and their effects and benefits. I can help trouble shoot problems and make suggestions on how the make this a more pleasant experience.

I have been in the respiratory field for 20 years with experience in the hospital, Sleep lab and home medical equipment industry. I also have been wearing a BiPAP mask myself for the past four years.Respiratory Care Pracitioner, Licensed Practical Nurse, Certified Pulmonary Function Technician Polysomnography Technician