Sleep Disorders/Can't sleep

Question
Hi
I'm a 16 year old female. Usually I fall asleep after 10 minutes, but latelty it takes me hours to fall asleep.
I've been taking Brewers Yeast for my acne for 3 weeks now and I think it's the Brewers Yeast that's causing me to be so tired.
I'm tired 24/7. I don't have any energy. If I sleep for 8 hours and I wake up I'm still tired. It feels like something drains my energy out throughout the night.

I go to bed at night at about 22:00 pm and usually wake up at 8:00 am or 8:30 am.
But now I fall asleep at 12 o'clock or in the morning hours.
I struggle a lot to fall asleep. The smallest noise wakes me up. And when I eventually fall asleep I wake up like 4 times at night for no reason.

At the moment I'm a bit sick. I have middle ear infection. But before I got sick I couldn't sleep.
I've tried putting my fan on 'cause it always helps but it just doesn't anymore.

What will make me fall asleep? What's the best ways to fall asleep?
And is there something wrong with me?

Answer
First I would try these tips below for falling asleep. The reason why you are tired is because you are not getting proper sleep. Then if you are still tired during the day you may have narcolepsy, which is the uncontrollable urge to fall asleep at the wring time.  You dont have to have all the symptoms just feeling exhausted all day can be the beginning. Go to narcolepsy network.org and read about it, but before you jump to conclusions you do these steps in order.

1.  follow my tips for falling asleep

2 if after 2 months, the insomnia is better (cant sleep is insomnia) but you are still exhausted.  You go to your MD and get the basic blood work up to check for anemia (low iron), mono(monolucleosis infection in body) thyroid, a sluggish thyroid can cause one to be very tired

then after all this is ruled out contact your local hospital for the nearest sleep center and have your sleep checkeDo this religiously for 4-6 weeks although some have seen changes in as little as 2 weeks.
3 hours before bedtime stay away from, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, exercise, caramel colored soda like coke,pepsi, ginger ale or root beer, all this make for restless sleep.

When you get in the bed take a few slow deep breaths in and out, make sure room is dark, you can put some mellow music while you go off to sleep but make sure the alarm is set so it turns off after 30 minutes.  When you go to bed if you start to twist and turn only do it for 20 minutes, then you must get out of bed,go into a different room ,then read a book or magazine, no computer.When you start to doze immediately go back into the bed. This retrains the brain into thinking that the bed is for restful sleep only.  Do this as many times as you awaken thru the night. It will lesson.

30 minutes before sleep take a hot bath and put your hands, palms up under the bath water. Latest research is that the palms of the hands send signals to the brain that its time to wind down and get ready for sleep.  15 minutes before bedtime drink a glass of plain warm milk. Milk when heated contains tryptophan a natural amino acid sleep inducer.

If after all this is done for at least 4-6 weeks and you see no improvement consider going to a sleep center and having your sleep evaluated. Your local hospital can refer you.  For more information go to sleepnet.com.d for narcolepsy.  They simply monitor your sleep overnight.  

However my guess is that the reason why you are exhausted is because of the insomnia.  here are my tips below.  show this to your parents.  email me back anytime.  Karel  

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis