Sleep Disorders/I never wake up naturally

Question
This has been going on for as long as I can remember.  Now, I have a high stress job, and to compensate, I've been experimenting with not setting an alarm on the weekends.  I never wake up on my own, and it's very difficult to wake me.  I have the loudest alarm clock I can find, with a bed shaker, but I still have to turn on two others just to give me a chance of waking up on time for work.  I usually sleep for about a half hour with them going off.  More often or not, I wake up to my dog barking at the alarm or scratching on the door.  I now how a giant hole in my bedroom door because of the dog scratching.  I have never woken up feeling rested.  I either wake up feeling like I've only slept a half hour, OR I wake up after sleeping so long I have a headache and feel sluggish all day.  I have a lot of trouble going to bed, not necessarily falling asleep, but getting to bed. But once I fall asleep, I can't wake up.  I've occasionally taken a nap just because I was bored, and even then, I can sleep for several hours and still find it difficult to wake up.  I have no idea why this is, it makes no sense to me.  What is wrong with me?

Answer
I suggest you contact a sleep center and get your sleep evaluated for some type of sleep disorder a hypersomnia.  I suggest you put both clocks in different parts of the room.  You need to get your sleep evaluated.  Suggestions for falling asleep. see tips below.but these are for insomnia but what to do to relax to get to sleep.
Do this religiously for 4-6 weeks although some have seen changes in as little as 2 weeks.
3 hours before bedtime stay away from, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, exercise, caramel colored soda like coke,pepsi, ginger ale or root beer, all this make for restless sleep.

When you get in the bed take a few slow deep breaths in and out, make sure room is dark, you can put some mellow music while you go off to sleep but make sure the alarm is set so it turns off after 30 minutes.  When you go to bed if you start to twist and turn only do it for 20 minutes, then you must get out of bed,go into a different room ,then read a book or magazine, no computer.When you start to doze immediately go back into the bed. This retrains the brain into thinking that the bed is for restful sleep only.  Do this as many times as you awaken thru the night. It will lesson.

30 minutes before sleep take a hot bath and put your hands, palms up under the bath water. Latest research is that the palms of the hands send signals to the brain that its time to wind down and get ready for sleep.  15 minutes before bedtime drink a glass of plain warm milk. Milk when heated contains tryptophan a natural amino acid sleep inducer.

If after all this is done for at least 4-6 weeks and you see no improvement consider going to a sleep center and having your sleep evaluated. Your local hospital can refer you.  For more information go to sleepnet.com.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis