Sleep Disorders/Just Not Tired!

Question

I am a 23 year old healthy female. About a month or so ago, I started having sleep issues. Basically, I am just not tired. I work 9-5, sitting at a desk all day, but I try to be active outside of work: walking my dog, cleaning the barn and caring for our horses, or going to yoga class. But no matter what I do, I am still wide awake until about 1 or 2 in the morning. I have never fallen asleep quickly (even as a child, I was always the last person awake at sleepovers!), but it's never been this bad before.

So far, it is not affecting my waking life. I don't feel fatigued or tired during the day, but I am so frustrated every night that I usually end up in tears more than once. I used to have such a strong sleep cycle: asleep by 10 or 11, awake at 6. I don't know what changed, but I cannot seem to get myself back in a cycle, and it's driving me crazy!

I do struggle with mild Restless Leg Syndrome, and I am sure that contributes to this problem. I have to get myself in to very specific positions so that the feelings in my leg don't bother me. To be honest, most nights I spend at least a few hours on the floor, because the hard surface damps down the RLS for some reason.

I have been taking generic Benadryl for the drowsy effects, but it was seeming not to help anymore. At the recommendation of a friend who works as a pharmacy tech, I tried melatonin last night. I took one 3 mg pill at about 9:30, hoping to be drowsy by at least 10:30. To my distress, the melatonin did not even make my eyelids heavy. I still felt wide awake and almost jittery until 1 or 2 am, when I fell asleep. I woke up at 6:30 this morning and have been unable to get back to sleep again.

I'm going to continue to try the melatonin again tonight, and continue for the recommended 2 weeks to see if I can possibly reset my sleep cycle. But do you have any recommendations? I am at the end of my rope, and I really need some help. I hate the idea of going to my doctor and being prescribed a sleep medication. I am already scared that I am going to rely on the melatonin; I refuse to take Lunesta or anything like that until I absolutely cannot take this anymore.

Please help! I've tried everything. I turn off all electronic at 8 pm, sit in dim light reading a book or crocheting, stay as active as possible during the day, I meditate, I sing lullabies in my head...nothing helps. As soon as I hit the pillow, I'm wide awake again.

Any help?

Thanks,

Cate

Answer
First of all the reason why you are jittery is because you just stopped taking the benadryl and switched to melatonin.  Benadryl just like a sleep medication, when you stop it, the insomnia comes back triple fold, hence you need to get your sleep cycle back with no medication,but this will take awhile.  at least 6-8 weeks.  If you have been off the benadryl for 5 days then dont go back on it.  However if the jitteryness is so severe then what you must do is go back to a 3/4 of the pill today, If its a capsule open the capsule and spill out a quarter of it, stay on that dose for 7 days, then cut id down to 1/2 pill for 7 days , then a quarter of a pill for 7 days.  This wait gives your brain time to adjust to the lessening of the dose and your brain time instead of just stopping it abruptly as you did.  While you are doing that, dont start on melatonin, as it dont work for many.  You need to do the tips that I suggest below.feel free to email me.
TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis