Sleep Disorders/Sleeping

Question
Hi  I am having some problems lately falling asleep. I had surgery last Friday for a bladder pacemaker. Ever since the surgery I have not been right. I try to go to sleep but I can't. I have been Saturday Sunday Monday and now Tuesday. I try to fall asleep but I can't. I feel wide awake. I stay up until 6:00am and then I finally fall asleep by 6:30am. I don't wake up until 3:00pm because I have been up so long. When I wake up I feel tired like I want to sleep but I can't. I don't know what has changed. I am thinking of taking meletonin 10mg to fall asleep but I haven't tried yet. Do they make a safe OTC sleeping pill that I can take to put me out because I feel run down. I have not talked with my doctor yet. I think some of this also has to do with me having cluster headaches. It is almost like my sleep pattern has changed. Thanks for any help.

Answer
I strongly suggest you go over your medications,  as far as being tired that's from the surgery which usually takes 6-8 weeks for any surgery to fully have the anesthesia come out of your system.I would not try any sleeping pills as you do not know the effect they would have.  I strongly swugggest you contact the surgery for this. meantime try these simple tips.

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.
feel free to email again Karel

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis