Sleep Disorders/Night Terrors/Nightmares

Question
I am a teen, and I have had horrible dreams the last week or two. I've been attacked, betrayed, and cornered, but even when I'm awake now, I'm getting jumpy. I don't want to sleep, because when I do, I get attacked or chased, which I'm okay with, but what freaks me out is that I have this feeling of fear all the time when I'm sleeping. Is there something I need to change in my lifestyle? Is it stress or just my brain venting? Please help.

Thanks

Answer
Hi,  Nightmares and night terrors can sometimes mean a sleeping disorder but only if you have them at least 3-4 times a week, .  Also one can have them, either just falling asleep or upon getting up accompanied with also inability to move.  90% of all night terrors and nightmares are usually of someone chasing us or burying us.And it can freak you out which is what I think is happening to you.  When it makes so frightened that if interferes with your not being able to sleep and they you falling asleep in the daytime makes for terrible sleep pattern to erupt.  However relax , we all go through this at one time or another in out lives.  Its natural phenomenon.  Most of the time it is due to stress, peer pressure, school grades, boyfriends, the usual being a teenager stuff is hard enough.  Right now I would say that you are suffering from anxiety however there are some things that definitely will help keep the dreams away. A lot of it is restless sleep due to sometime foods that we eat.  Im am giving you below my tips for insomnia,  I suggest you follow them especially the foods and the things to do right before sleep.  However if after following these for 6-8 weeks, you find that these dreams or nightmares, continue then I would tell my parents, show them this to get a consult with a sleep center, but right now, I would absolutely just try and relax.  Before bedtime listen to soothing music not unfortunately the usual rap or music in todays vh1 to  20, but soft dentist music .  or perhaps some celine dion has good soft ones.   even soft R&B.  No computer or tv  to fall asleep to as this heads for trouble and you cant get a good sleep because when the tv is on, believe it or not our brains are half asleep and the other half is following the show.  Drinking the warm milk is what is going to help you tremendously,  not an 8 ounce glass 4 ounce is good, but it must be heated, and plain.  It will calm the centers of the brain which in turn will calm the dreaming.  If all else fails then I would also seek a counselor. Also the most important thing you must avoid is drugs, smoking, alcohol.  Drugs and alcohol will promote this dreaming even more so if your body is susceptible to them.  Feel free to email again or your parents if they have any questions.  I started at 13 with narcolepsy which is a terrible sleep disorder, one symptom of it is night terrors but even more intense they are called hallucinations, because one is dreaming the night terrors when either just falling asleep or awakening, and our eyes are open and we cant move, so I at times would be dreaming with my eyes open.  When the brain does this, the nightmares are so severe and the fear after is so much so, that usually the nightmares are of someone chasing you ,that you are looking on the bed for the boogie man.  So I know what you are saying, but please dont freak out.  It could all be due to some stress in your life, or as I said if you are trying any pot especially affects the dreaming at the teen years, so chill out, relax, try taking deep breaths right before sleep.  put the music on, take the hot bath, drink the milk, and I guarantee you will have sweet dreams.  Please feel free to email anytime or if you have any other questions, Good Luck take care, you will be fine, Karel.  Here are the insomnia tips.

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis