Sleep Disorders/Insomnia

Question
Hi Karel.   im a 45 year old male. i have trouble sleeping at night. it seems i cant get my body to relax enough to sleep.  i work a split shift.  i start at 8:00am in the morning go home for a few hours and im off about 10.pm when i get home i feel i need to rush to sleep to be up in the morning.  i find that im trying to hard to get to sleep fast that i wake up not feeling rested. another issue is i cant get comfortable.  i would sleep on my bed for a week and it starts to get uncomfortable then i would sleep on the couch for a week and the comfort wears off and im back to my bed. you see im bouncing back and forth.   I even switch pillows from time to time. when i lay my head on the pillow i would feel pressure on all sides of my head, so im constantly turning my head on the pillow throughout the night just to find position on my head that does not have pressure while lying on the pillow.  i do drink coffee. due to the long hours at work i need the caffeine to keep me going.  my job is very fast paced and physical as to i am a waiter.  but lately the coffee has not been helping because of my sleep problems. and because of my sleep problems i drink coffee.  you see im stuck in this cycle.  I had been listening to sleep music and sounds on youtube. (like rain, and airplane cabin white noise). its helping but not its not good enough.  i also find myself thinking to much when i try to sleep, such as work related issues, where my life has been and is going issues.   My question is what is going on with my body that it cant get comfortable no matter where i sleep?  why do i have pressure on my head when i lay on the pillow? is there a bed type and pillow type that i need to purchase?  How can i wind down fast after work in order to get to sleep?  how do i clear my mind to get to that relaxed staged before i can fall asleep?          Oh, i also tried the over the counter sleep pills and it does not work.  i have been using the allergy benadryl pills that does work but im afraid im going to be doing harm to myself if i became dependant on the benadryl because thats not what pill is intended for. (sleeping)          please help me figure this out.
         Thank you,
         Duane

Answer
TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis