Sleep Disorders/weird sleep issues

Question
So this question really will be multiple questions. So I take meds to control my moods and help me sleepbecause at night I have an extremely hard time falling asleep. A doctor said I have insomnia but my whole life even though I have issues sleeping at night I sleep like a baby if I take a nap in the day. My doctor said try your hardest to not take naps in the day and it would help me sleep at . it doesn't help and if I don't sleep well I  through terrible mood swing (bipolor) even though I take my meds as prescribed. So first question is how to sleep when I try to around 9pm to 10pm?

Next when I sleep people tell me I have terrible nightmares where I kick and scream but I never wake up Ijust suddenly stop dreaming and not long after I wake up with nose  ( I have nose bleeds in the middle of the night about once a week) I get my blood pressure checked once a month its never high so I guess its these nightmares I don't remember even having. What's going on with these nightmares and nose bleeds?

Lastly I sleep on my stomach in bed because I can't sleep on my back its very uncomfortable and some times hard to breathe. But every once in a while I'll wake up then go back to sleep in a recliner in the living room.I hear everything my grandmother says and does in the room and reply to her in between  snoring (which freaks her our) and sometimes I try to wake myself up to get up but I  feel like I can't move then I dream I got up and when I realize I'm dreaming I do it again. I'll try to wake myself up 2 or 3 times before I actually get up. And that has happened allot since I moved in to my grandmothers 9 months ago. So why does this trying to wake up but can't thing happen?

Answer
Your answer to question 1 is how to better control your insomnia. follow these tips
TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.

The nightmares has to do with the medications you take which if persist you should tell your md.  The reason why the nightmares is also because you are not sleeping at night which makes up for a lot of these symptoms, when one is overtired the naps, the dreaming strats right away which in turn causes the nightmares, the being unable to move is what we call hypnangogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis.  Which happens either upon awakening or falling to sleep.  This is also symptoms of narcolepsy, but in your situation,  I believe its from one of your meds, Perhaps the dosage needs adjusting or if you just started on the drugs for bipolar it takes at least 6 weeks until your body adjust to them.  I would tell my doctor.   Now the nosebleeds, are probably due to the humidity in the room. To solve this.  First sleep on 2 pillows,and purchase a cool mist humidifier .  cvs or vicks brand also sold on amazon for $22. or $40. You fill with cold water.  You will put a tablespoon of table salt In the water and close your bedroom door and leave on in room while you sleep. The mist will clear the air and the salt will dry up any secretions.  Also if your room is too humid or dry you will get the nosebleeds which is why the humidifier will stop them.  I also would pass it buy my md.  If your blood pressure is normal dollars to donuts its due to the dryness in your apartment.  Also don't forget to buy a pack of filters for the humidifier.  You must change them at least 1 every 3 months or when they turn color or get dirty because otherwise you will breathe back in all the dusty in the air that it filtered out.   Feel free to email again . Karel  

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis