Sleep Disorders/anxiety causing sleep troubles

Question
I am 28 yr old single mother and a returning college student. Due to a past abusive relationship, I have PTSD symptoms among other issues. I am currently in therapy in working on those issues, but in the mean time I need to sleep. Between therapy, the added stress of school and an up coming court date with my ex, I have not been getting any sleep! I have had sleep issues before, but never was too concerned with them. Usually once the anxiety eases up my sleep will get lined back up. Now, that I am in school though, I need rest. For the last three weeks, it takes me hours to ever get to sleep then when I finally do drift off I have either dreams or nightmares all night and wake up repeatedly. In the morning, I feel like I have fight a war all night physically and mentally. I have never taken any form of sleep aid and I am not sure how I feel about trying medication. I'm not looking for just a quick fix. My concern with sleep aids is that A. they may be addictive or habit forming B. they may only keep me asleep for longer allowing for more intense nightmares. I would like your expert opinion on over the counter sleep aids or any other suggestions you might have for me. PTSD isn't going to go away over night nor are the flashbacks, intrusive memories or nightmares, but I need to be able to live a half way functional life in the mean time. Can you help me?

Answer
I hope this helps.  You are right about sleep aids.  I would first try this.  If not you can try melatonin which is sold over the counter.  You would take one 3mg. pill. some say it helps, but my tips seem to get better results.feel free to email again Karel

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis