Sleep Disorders/seeing visions at night

Question
from  the  time  i  was  a  teenager,,,ive  had  night  terrors,that  stopped  at  the  age  of  thirty.now  i  see  animals,,men  women  and  teens,just  last  night,,,he  called  out  my  name  and  i  woke  up and  saw  this  man  staring  at  me.this  happens  all  the  time.they  never  speak.when  i  go  to  touch  them, they  disappear.im  what  you  would  call  a  sensitive  person.one  time  i  remember  i  was  just climbing  into  bed,and i  saw a  mini chuckwagon  being  pulled  by  horses  go  along  my  wall.cmon  this  isnt  normal...please  help...ps  im  on  100  mg  of  zoloft  and  have  been  for  a  while.ive  had  trouble  sleeping  for  months  now.

Answer
If you are experiencing these  sightings when you either just go to sleep or upon awakening they are hypnangogic hallucinations.  What happens when we go to sleep is that are body and brain should go to sleep and awaken the same time, In this situation there is a glitch in that the brain and the body are not in sync so since the brain is still awake you are literally dreaming with ones eyes open.  If this happens often its a disorder and could be a sysptomm of narcolepsy if one is tired during the day.  If this happens  like I said just when you are awakeining or falling off to sleep then you need to be checked for narcolepsy at a sleep center.  Now Im a respiratory therapist not an MD but I can tell you that the drug your on Zoloft, has this listed as one of their side effects as well as the sleepiness. You should consult with your md. and either have him lower the dosage which must be done ever so gradually and see if they lesson, Zoloft also can cause your not being able to sleep.  Sometimes one has to try many of these ssri drugs (serotonin reuptake inhibitors)before you find the right one.  I definitely would speak to him about the dosage or switching you.  But don't do this on your own.  When one  stops these drugs abruptly or decreases too fast the syptoms come back worse.  Hope this helps a little. feel free to email again.  I have also included  insomnia tips that also may help you.

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis