Sleep Disorders/worried about sporadic fatal insomnia

Question
QUESTION: I am really worried I have this. My sleep has not been that good for about a month now. It seems like it getting worse but that could be because I started an over night maintenance job, so I think i just worry about not being able to sleep during the day whe I get off of work in the morning. I already know it is like stupidly rare and I have a better chance at winning the lottery and getting hit by light the same day. But I cant stop thinking I have this. I also think I am so preoccupied by thinking about this that it is making it difficult to remember things when I think about it ive always had a bad memory I have trouble remembering my sisters names lol. I dont really have any other symptoms other then the cant fall asleep and feeling really tired but cant sleep I get hot kinda easy. I think it also maybe just an anxiety that I have about having it that I start thinking I have more symptoms and that is also the reason I cant sleep. Im scared though. I havent tried any sleep meds other then some all natural sleeping pills my dad got at gnc. Im yo embarrassed to talk to my parents about or go see a doctor. What do you think? Please help.

ANSWER: First of all the even have fatal insomnia one literally has to go with no sleep for at least a year or two.  nada, not a nap nothing.  So that alone should tell you its your thought process.  I suggest you try the tips below however ,when you get in the bed tonight .  I want you to dial 718-920-calm and press option 3.   I stumbled upon this in 2013 and it is wonderful, and then continue reading my tips especially the one about getting up in the middle of the night and going out of the room to read.  and stop worrying.  You don't have it.  As far as memory.  its also due to your being tired.  Now you have to not remember you ever heard of familiar insomnia  LOL.  So you see your memory is fine,  Chill,  Follow my tips and call this number every night.  It beats any sleeping pills, and is great for anxiety.  I was never a believer in deep breathing until last year I got shingles and the pain is excruciating.  I now have post herpetic neuralgia, as my shingles never erupted into blisters so instead spread internally through out my entire system, mainly backside arms and legs, so my pain is horrendous, yet when I called this number I worked thru it.  amazing. feel free to email again.  Karel. Show your parents this,  if of course none of this works then I suggest you see a therapist for your anxiety, but my bet is you will follow the tips and the phone call and be fine, but remember it will take 8 weeks to get your sleep cycle back to normal.  email me anytime,Karel.  also feel free to visit my website.www: Karel911breathingandsleepquestions.com

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.
TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

QUESTION: I know your right about the disease I personally think it is ridiculous to think that I have it. But I feel like thats the only conclusion when your lying in bed and you can not fall asleep when you feel relaxed already but the mind dont go in a deep enough sleep to block out the back round noise. I also know that I do sleep sometimes because I do dream. But I get so angry about my sleep because i used be able to fall aseel whenever wherever,  it didnt matter lol I would wake up around 4:30-5:00am for school.the get home around 1:00pm then I would take naps sometimes up to like three hours lol then be in bed around 9:00-10:00pm every night. I was verry happy being a lazy person haha. And to go from that to sleeping 3-4 hours  a night broken up and sometimes not even remembering if I slept or not and sometimes going a day or two with no sleep really really sucks. It  makes you feel like you aint never going to get any sleep ever again and your mind forgot how to fall asleep. I truly regret looking up how to treat insomnia because thats when I heard of ffi and sfi. Lol I know it sounds stupid but its pretty much all I think about is that I have this rare dieses thats mostly passed down geneticlly . Lol and the chances of geting the sporadic one is like one in a billion stupid to believe I would be that lucky. I feel if I could have a night sleep of like 6-8 hrs of uninterrupted sleep I would feel a lot better about believing I dont have it. Thanks for your help I feel a little better getting how I feel off my chest. Anxiety is  a little MF'er lol. Ive had scary thouths of death and disease but quickly forgot about them I guess i get so scared because this ones associated with sleep. Thanks again. Another question is it possible for your brain and body to forget how to sleep?

Answer
Sleep is a mechanism of the brain.  One does not forget to sleep.  It happens on its own.  You said you use to sleep and take naps.  Are you still extra sleepy during the day, just curious.Only because people who fall asleep at inappropriate times, can have narcolepsy.  However youre complaining of no sleep.  It just caught me when you said you would nap for hours.  That's not normal.  Right now your sleep cycle is so screwed up , it aint funny.  You have got to follow those tips.  It takes at least 2 months in some longer.  But you will find within the next month if you follow the tips to the tee, that you are sleeping at least 4-5 hours straight or maybe more.It takes the brain awhile to get back into sync and if you are using any sleeping pills or drugs even longer as ones brain first has to re adjust to not taking the sleep medication.  You mentioned taking it once in awhile but not regularly which makes the task of resetting your sleep cycle even quicker and easier.  good luck.and excuse my French.  Friggin   chill and call the number. you will be fine.If your parents for some reason cant understand show them the emails or have them email me.   take care Karel

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis