Sleep Disorders/Sporadic Fatal InsomniaI

Question
QUESTION: I'm a frighten man here. I suffered 2 days straight with no sleep starting Monday. On Wednesday I got some decent sleep but Thursday and Friday I got 0 sleep again.

Is this Sporadic Fatal Insomnia. If not could I die of sleep deprivation?

ANSWER: No sporadiac fatal insomnia one must be up for at lest 9 months straight.Its considered heritary and very rare.  What you have is simple insomnia. I suggest you follow the tips below.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.
TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.feel free to email again, karel

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply. From my understanding I thought that Fatal Familial Insomnia is the inherited version and Sporadic Fatal Insomnia is not.

Are both hereditary?

ANSWER: Both of them concern a prpc gene which is mutated or not, if you don't have the gene, and 50% of all cases the gene is at least inherited by one or more parent.  Its very rare only a handful of patients have it.  You would have had no sleep, nothing in over 365 days before one would even think of the possibility of having it, very rare.  

QUESTION: I hate to keep bugging you about this but my anxiety level is at an all time high worried about this.

I read on wikipedia and this is what it said:

"non-inherited mutation variant called sporadic fatal insomnia"

Now I don't know how much updated that page is but that is why I wanted to know if this was an inherited disease or not.

And again I apologize for overacting on this but my lack of sleep has me concerned that I got this.

James

Answer
To have this disease you literally cannot have a minute of sleep for over a year. 365 days without even a nap or dozing off even for a second.  Its very rare.  You have to have the inherited gene fromn one of your parents.  Please stop worrying.  What you have is simple insomnia.  Follow the tips I gave you religiously and in about 8 weeks, though many have seen improvement in less than 2 weeks, your sleep cycle will be reset. Karel.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis