Sleep Disorders/Dreaming when dozing

Question
As soon as I start to doze I begin dreaming. It is when a person is almost asleep but can still hear noises in room. Most of time the dreams are very disturbing. I have chronic body pain and Rheumatoid arthritis so I dont sleep much. Usual sleep pattern is 2 hour then have to get for hour or 2. Snd the cycle repeats til 4 am then I cant go back to sleep. Why do I have these vision like dreams while I can hear my husband talking or his tv? Thanks

Answer
Sometimes our brains and body go out of sync instead of going to sleep and waking up the same time,  It is normal phenomenon if happens once in awhile, but constantly it can turn into a rem disorder rapid eye movement or simply a dream disorder.  Most probably it happens more often to you because of your inability to sleep straight thru, in other words your sleep cycle is out of whack, due to the pain as well.  I suggest you try these tips for insomnia, as well as you cant have the tv in the room that you sleep, that alone makes you inable to sleep.  You also need to get your pain under control.  Either thru a pain management doctor or with deep breathing technique.  iM iN The same boat.  I caught shingles 2 years ago and am left with nerve damage, am on pain meds, vitamins, you name it, plus I have narcolepsy.  Pain can really screw up the sleep cycle.  I also found believe it or not, relaxation helps control the pain.  I never believed in homeopathic stuff but for me it saved me.  I am going to give you the name of a homeopathic SUPPlement I started 6 months ago and while I never ever believed in it, traditional medication for me I was allergic to lyrica or Cymbalta.  I don't know if you also go to a rheumatologist who can try different medications for your pain.  If you haven't then that is the first thing you need to do. is consult your physician on how to control the pain better, as I said he may refer you to pain management.  I too am on morphine and fentanyl patch to control my nerve pain, but since started homeopathic supplements am finally lowering off the hard narcotics , however for rheumatoid arthritis there are many medications your rheumatologist can try.  Below you will find tips on insomnia inability to sleep.  Secondly if the dreaming while dozing gets worse then you need to go to a sleep center and perhaps be placed on antidepressants in baby doses.  Doctors just know that in baby doses they hold back the dreaming, however, they have side effects, and we all must dream.  Dreaming is the bodies way to regroup for the next day, but not so fast as you are.  I think the steps to do, understand Im no md, just a therapist with a sleep disorder and have researched it extensively.  1. get your rheumatologist to change or try different meds if not to a pain management doctor to control the pain.2.  before you go into bed at night or even during the day call the following number 718-920-calm.  Montefiore hospital in the Bronx,ny famous sleep center has this 24 hour free number. You dial it press option 3 to start, options 1 and 2 are shorter versions. They are 3,5 and 8 minute deep breathing tapes, I didn't believe it but it does help with the pain some.

Now are my tips for insomnia and to possibly help the dreaming.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.
TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN
RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM,CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE
EXERCISE,CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE PEPSI,COKE, AND GINGER ALE.
ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH.  LATEST RESEARCH FROM
JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE WATER ,PALMS UP, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , A NATURAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER, PUT IN ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES.DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES.  IF SO GET OUT OF BED, GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE.  IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

Now I will give you the information on the homeopathic medication which has been studies extensively for pain and is said to help arthritis ,fibromyalgia type pain as well understand I learned just because its homeopathic, does not mean it has no side effects.  I also am including the doctors email who is world reknown and presently works in sloan kettering cancer center in NY and md Anderson in texas.  He does not see patients, cant give you direct medication information, but when it comes to curcurmin c3 complex will answer all the emails free.  He has helped me tremendously.  My pain level went from a 100 on a scale of 1 to 10 down to a 2 or 4.  But you must show this to your physician first to see if you can take it. I list all the side effects that are possible most of them do subside after a few weeks, however you cannot take it if you are on any type of blood thinner medication. If you read the information below you will see. Please feel free to email again. Good luck Karel.If the dreaming does not improve and you are exhausted during the day then I suggest you go to a sleep center, but as I stated it most probably is due to the chronic pain.  Pain is a beast and many don't understand .  Here is the letter and info on the homeopathic supplement.  Good Luck.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CURCUMIN C3 COMPLEX(Note:Doctor's Best & Americas Finest Inc
are the only 2 brands made by Sabinesa Corp. that has been researched and used so extensively.)

Do not take if you are on any blood thinners such as Plavix, or Coumadin.. If on aspirin only it might be wise to stop taking it the week that you start the supplement to make sure it causes no problems. As it can thin the blood more (consult your md if you can stop aspirin  for 1 week then you can resume back to it)

Do not take if you have gallbladder trouble or gallstones.
If you have any gastric reflux problems or irritable bowel syndrome,you should take all of the doses with yogurt. You also must drink at least a  glass of water(8oz.  with each dosage).Also drink plenty of water through out the day, as this flushes it through your system better.

Possible side effects and the medications /teas to take to countereact them.Some people have all of these, some have none ,each person is different,however all of the side effects do lesson as your body gets adapted to the Curcumin..usually about 3 weeks,however some the side effects may return as you increase each dosage which is why one must increase gradually.

Stomach cramping- drink ginger or chaomomile tea   Pepto-Bismal( OTC)   
Heartburn or gastric upset-ginger tea, Liquid Mylanta or Maalox(OTC)
Nausea -peppermint tea ,or Cola Syrup sold in drugstores or online. (Not emetrol) the bottle must say Cola Syrup.If cannot find you can try leaving a can of Coke Soda opened for a day and drink a sip or two for the nausea.   If still fails Zofran-sublingual tablets (Prescription Needed).  Nausea can be the longest side effect to lesson (1 Month) .Or also when dosage is increased.)

Itching or small areas of light rash-(this may occur each time you increase the dosage,but will go away)
IF ITCHING/RASH  GET WORSE THEN CURCUMIN MUST BE DISCONTINUED.(note:this is not a common of side effect)-Benadryl(25mg.) OTC medication :Visteral 25mg(Prescription needed)

Diahrea-Immodium,pepto bismal (OTC)  (PLEASE NOTE IF DIARHEA PERSISTS AFTER A FEW DAYS OR IS TOO SEVERE.YOU MUST DISCONTINUE THE CURCUMIN AS THIS IS THE ONLY SIDE EFFECT THAT MAY NOT LESSON. AND COULD MEAN YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO THE CURCUMIN.         Bowel  movement may change to mustard or rust color-drink more water

Start with 500mg daily for 1 week. After keep increasing slowly each week  until you have no pain..You should also divide the dose into 3 or 4 times daily. (Some need 3000mg. Total - 1000mg. 3Xs per day) Some need more/some less. Try taking dosages same time each day.Some have seen pain decrease an hour after the first dose.You can go as high as 8000 total each day if need to.Dont take last dose too late as tends to cause insomnia as you gradually increase to higher doses.  While curcumin is safe to take,higher doses may increase liver enzymes,so have blood checked every 3-6 months.          

Curcumin has been researched extensively and used at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center ,NY,and MD.Anderson Cancer Center in Texas. It is used for inflammation of tumors, and found to help
Neuropathic or Nerve  pain, Post Herpetic Neuralgia(pain from shingles)& Pain from Arthrits.You can
go to:WWW:Curcuminresearch.org .Email-Bharat Aggarwal,PHD,Professor of Cancer Research.at aggarwal@mdanderson.org .Since he is a PHD.He cannot answer specific case questions,but is world reknown for his research on Curcumin

Please Note:  Curcumin C3 Complex is manufactured by the Sabinesa Corporation. Which also goes by the name of Americas Finest Supplements INC.(AFI )

However only the 2 companies  below are the ones that have been researched extensively and used by
Sloan Kettering and Md Anderson Cancer Center for inflammation of tumors and stumbled upon it to also help nerve damage and inflammation throughout ones body.

AFI Curcumin C3 complex with Bioperine comes in 500MG and 1000MG..It can be purchased directly from the Sabinesa Corporation also known as AFI.  You can call area code (732)777-1111 or go to WWW.HBees.com or call 877-210-4431  Where you can also read more on curcurmin C3 complex.
These companies carry curcumin C3 complex in coated caplets form.

Or Doctors Best Curcumin C3 Complex with Bioperine .It also comes in  5ooMG &1000MG, but in capsule form which may be easier on the stomach to digest. It can be purchased online at
many places however the cheapest  ones are WWW:Vitamin Shoppe.com, WWW.Vitacost.com,Puritan Pride.com and even at some Walgreen stores.

All Supplements come in 60,90and 120 caplets or capsules.NOTE; THIS IS NOT TO BE USED AS A DIAGNOSIS OR PRESCRIBING . IT IS SIMPLY MY NOTES ON HOW CURCUMIN HELPED ME. TO REDUCE AND HOPEFULLY COME OFF THE NARCOTICS AND CONTROL THE PAIN HOMEOPATHICALLY.

PLEASE NOTE;BEFORE YOU DISCONTINUE CURCUMIN C3 COMPLEX BECAUSE YOU FEEL IT IS NOT WORKING.  AT LEAST STAY ON THE HIGH DOSE OF  TOTAL  2000mg
4 TIMES A DAY FOR 3 MONTHS.  

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis