Sleep Disorders/oversleep on weekends

Question
Hello, Dr Karel Sleis

Recently I have noticed that I need a lot of sleep during weekends. Nowadays it is common for me to spend the whole day in bed on a Saturday and get out of bed around 1:30pm or 2pm on Sundays (and this is because sometimes I am forced to get out of bed to do chores such as laundry etc.).

Why is this happening to my body? is it good or bad?

In case it helps, the fall has come (I live in Canada) and I study full-time and work part-time, and I am in my early 30s.

Please let me know if you need additional details. I never had to be in bed for a whole day, unless I was sick.

Thank you

Answer
It sounds to me that you might be taking on a lot and its screwing up your sleep cycle.  I am not a doctor. Im a respiratory therapist who has narcolepsy a sleeping disorder.  Since this happened suddenly , you might want to get your thyroid checked and your blood count for anemia or mono.  Just as a precaution. If it all checks out.  I suggest that you go to sleep and awaken as closed to the same times all 7 days of the week.  And make it a definite to get just 8 hours.  It may be if the blood work is all fine, that you are so exhausted during the daytime with school and work, that your body is trying to make up for the missed sleep. However this only messes up your normal sleep cycle.  If you find yourself extremely tired or falling asleep during the daytime at inappropriate times, driving or in class, then I would say its possible you have a sleep disorder narcolepsy.  but I think its just because you are not getting the same proper 8 hr sleep during the week, that is zonking you out over the weekend.  Also stay away from alcohol, or drugs as they would also cause you to sleep more. feel free to email again karel.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis