Sleep Disorders/Is this a sleeping disorder?

Question
Hi, I'm a 17 year old girl and I'm wondering if my symptoms are from a sleep disorder. Starting this last summer I was in summer school retaking a class, we moved at a pretty fast pace. Suddenly my eyes felt very strange, I couldn't keep them open, everything became blurry, Vison darkened my hearing would fade out then blackness, I would twich then my eyes would suddenly be open (or maybe they weren't closed to start with...) then it would be like someone cranked the volume to max. But I was disoriented and couldn't understand what everyone was saying. Like they were speaking a foreign language and everything was so loud. Just before everything went back to normal the same thing would happen again and again. Between 5 to 10 times till we got a ten minute break if I got up to walk around I was good the rest of the day. However if I didn't the same thing would happen after the break.
It happened maybe twice a month after Christmas, once a week, in one class in the morning. Then it got worse happening everyday in that class. Now it's happening in two classes longer and more frequently. But it's different. I even failed a test because of it (13% failed...)
My eyes still feel werid but then I start thinking about random stuff like my stories or shows I watch and it will play like movies in my head. I will hear/see things I know are in my head. Like I'm dreaming, kinda, I can't focus. Either that will happen or I see black. It's only scary when I see black for a long time.

I don't know if this means anything but all day at school I'm freezing its been almost a month that in cold all day. I also can't fall asleep easy and am not fully rested on waking up.
Sometimes sitting or laying down causes heart palpitations.
Anyways thank you for taking time to read this, I hope to hear back from you.

Answer
First of all you need to read this first then have your parent read this.  There is definitely something neurologically going on.  However if you are using any kind of pot or other drugs, it is a good chance that these are after affects that the drugs might be doing on you.  Either way you need to see a doctor.

Now on the other hand, it could be one of 2 things.  The first is narcolepsy, the second some kind of motor seizure.  Now if you do have any type of sleep disorder. The least of what it could be is a result of your having insomnia, which is not being able to sleep.  When we lack nights of good sleep what can happen is our brains take these microsleeps during the daytime and nod off.  We are between awake and asleep.  For this its basically following some tips that I will give you at the end of this very long letter Im writing you about.  

The next one which concerns me is the part where youre getting a twitch then blackness and then like youre fading in and out.  This very well could be some form of epilepsy or motor seizure.  Whatever these are you need to see a doctor and not a regular md.  Because of the vison trouble and blackness the one that can clear this up is a neurologist, a doctor that specializes in the brain.  You would need about 3 test to get a proper diagnosis.  1. is a basic mri. which they put you in this machine, Its totally painless, you just lie down and themachine looks inside of your brain to see if there are any abnormalities .  To have epilepsy or motor seizures you do not have to twitch like you would think, there are partial seizures.  Partial seizures can effect any part of th brain or limb such as an arm,the eye.  My concern is that .a. you said youre eye twitched, b.  you said youre vision goes and you said the voices fade in and out.  This is indicative of some type of motor seizure. The mri and a eeg which is a brain wave, also very painless, done by the same doctor. This test you sit in a chair . They glue wires to your hair and will flicker lights in front of your eyes to see if the lights will trigger this off. Or if you are having seizures it will pick up.  Now the doctor may want to do the same test but at night at a sleep center.  This will also rule out epilepsy, or other sleep disoders.  If you have what I have which is narcolepsy you fall asleep at inappropriate times or you are tired all the time.  Most of us with narcolepsy.  You can go to narcolepsy network.com to read more about that.  As far as being cold , I don't thing that means anything except to say that when one is so overtired they tend to feel the cold more.  If this is simply anxiety, then the neurologist will give you something for anxiety.  However what you are describing is nothing that can be swept under the rug, since it is progressing.  I suggest you give this to your parents to read.  You can ask your local hospital for the name of a neurologist near you or a sleep center which also has neurologist.  Either way anytime a person loses vision or things get black.  Now as far as having trouble getting to sleep you should follow the tips below to see if youre sleeping gets better.  Its possible that this may have been because you were so overtired from not sleeping.  However you can still follow the tips on getting a good nights sleep,but you need to see that neurologist befoee this gets worse. It may never happen again, but it is better safe than sorry. Your hospital may also have a sleep clinic where they see people on a sliding scale to pay for it.  However since you are 17, you have t be covered on your parents health insurance.  I do not want you to freak out over this, but it needs to be checked out since you have had more than 1 or 2 episodes.  Here are the tips.  Good luck and feel free to email me anytime.  Karel.

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM, CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE, EXERCISE, CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE COKE AND PEPSI AND GINGER ALE. ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH. LATEST RESEARCH FROM JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE HOT WATER, PALMS UP, SENDS IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN, A NATUAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER,PUT IT ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES. DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES. IF SO GET OUT OF BED,GO INTO ANOTHER ROOM AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER. WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP. DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE. IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.  

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis