Sleep Disorders/insomia

QUESTION: Hi. Bcuz of my night job, I have insomnia. I can't fall asleep until 11am. I take melatonin 3g but sometimes it doesn't work. The same with OTC 50mg a pill. It says take 20 mins before bed. I take it but then I go straight to bed. I don't stay up. The last time I tooka sleeping pill, it never kicked in and it felt like a pressure in my eyes with a headache. I'm thinking about going to a doctor but I think they'll just give me a prescription for sleeping pills. Is it also bad to eat with the pill? Please help. I have epilepsy and I need to sleep.

ANSWER: Hi there. Could you give me a few more details? What is your age, do you work the night shift currently? How long have you worked nights? Do you now have a new job on first shift? I can answer all your questions wuth just a few more details :)  thanks!

QUESTION: Hi. I'm sorry I took long to respond. But I work less nights now, but since I work afternoons at 2-10pm I need to sleep. a few days ago I was awake for over 24 hours at work.  I had to buy a monster. It did help me. I'm 27 and smoke sometimes. I have been taking gummy bear melatonin but it doesn't always work.

Hi again :) the insomnia is definately caused by rotating shifts. Your brain doesnt know when to sleep and when to be awake. This will definitely cause insomnia. Until you get a steady work schedule there isn't too much you can do. And no, caffine will not be very helpful in the long run.

Sleep Disorders

Erika Roggenback

I can answer all questions related to any type of sleep disorders, or sleeping issues, for all ages. For sleeping disorders, these can include narcolepsy, REM Behavior Disorder (RBD), parasomnias such as sleep talking, walking or eating, and many more. I can also help with any issues dealing with sleep apnea or PAP. Lastly, I can give assistance on how to get a better nights sleep, sleep hygiene and how your medications can affect your sleep.

I have been a sleep technologist for 13.5 years, having run studies on people of all ages.

Registered Polysomnographic Technologist