Sleep Disorders/Is Sleep Dependent on a Fine Balance?

Question
Hi Karel,

I have no problem sleeping but do wake after a few hours.
And can't return to sleep.
I've taken various herbal and mineral supplements to help.
I find that they might help a night or two, then either stop working altogether or backfire.
I'm trying to figure out why this is.
My idea is that sleep involves neurochemical pathways that the body keeps in fine balance.  And when you "fix" something with one supplement, it might expose another weak point along the chain, so the system jams again.
So the answer to sleeping well is to try lots of different things at the same time, perhaps at lower doses?

Any help you can offer on this line of thinking most appreciated.

Cheers,
Usuff

Answer
What happens is after a couple of days the body builds up tolerance to any of the sleep medications and one needs to take more and more to get the same effect. This is why sleep medications are only given for 4 to 5 nights at the sleep center for a person with periodic insomnia due to this tolerance. I suggest you try these tips especially the one about going into  a different room to read if you awaken during the night.  It may help you. feel free to email again Karel.

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM, CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE, EXERCISE, CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE COKE AND PEPSI AND GINGER ALE. ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH. LATEST RESEARCH FROM JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE HOT WATER, PALMS UP, SENDS IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN, A NATUAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER,PUT IT ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES. DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES. IF SO GET OUT OF BED,GO INTO ANOTHER ROOM AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER. WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP. DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE. IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis