Sleep Disorders/Sleeping problem

Question
hello,
my age is 21.About 5-6years ago when i was sleeping alone in my room in the evening, suddenly i woke up & felt something very heavy on my chest,i couldn't breath properly, i couldn't move or speak.I was so scared. After 10-15 minutes i felt the weight is gone & i came back to normal state.I never shared this with anyone.And since then I'm a little scared about sleeping.Whenever i go to bed that memory hunts me & i just can't sleep easily.And if i sleep,only my eyes sleep.I can hear every & each sound around me.Even a little silly sound wakes me up & for the rest of time i can't sleep.I consulted psychologist,he prescribed me Capsule Prodeep & Tablet Epiclone.They r making me sleepy but without them i can't sleep.I'm being depressed & it's effecting my life-style.
I do meditations & follow healthy diet but still im unable to sleep properly without medicines.
I want to sleep without any kind of medicine.
what should i do?

Answer
First of all let me tell you that what you experience 5-6 years ago is natural phenomenon..  All of us are sequenced for our bodies and brain to fall asleep and awaken the same time.  However once in awhile, science does not know why, but either while we are asleep, or just upon falling asleep or awakening, we will get that feeling you experience where you are so scared , unable to speak or move.  They are called hypnanagogic hallucinations, and sleep paralysis.  We all at one time or another will experience this, however those like me who suffer from Narcolepsy have it happen more often. What happens in since our bodies are brain are supposed to awaken together and fall asleep together once in a while there is a split second nano glitch in our brain that the brain is awake before the bodies, so we are dreaming with our eyes open.  You are unable to move, this is sleep paralysis.  Dreams are so real that many after its over are still afraid to return to sleep.  However immedicately when the person finds out that this is natural phenomen, the person is able to forget about it.  Please note that when you stop the sleep medications, do not stop them suddenly or you will get even more of the symptoms that you got 5 years ago. You must ever  so gradually decrease the dosage by lets say chopping off a quarter of the pill every 7 days.  Once the drug is out of your system then your cycle needs to take at least a good 2 months before it will return to normal.  Meanwhile.  I suggest you try these tips below.  especially the foods to stay away from 3 hours before sleep.  also taking a hot bath but most importantly the warm glass of milk.  That is the key to put yourself into a more deeper sleep.  also no tv in the room or playing in the background.  You must train your brain into thinking the bedroom is for recuperative sleep only not a room to play the tv on.  Hope this helps . feel free to email again Karel the tips are below.

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM, CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE, EXERCISE, CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE COKE AND PEPSI AND GINGER ALE. ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH. LATEST RESEARCH FROM JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE HOT WATER, PALMS UP, SENDS IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN, A NATUAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER,PUT IT ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES. DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES. IF SO GET OUT OF BED,GO INTO ANOTHER ROOM AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER. WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP. DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE. IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.  

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis