Sleep Disorders/Use of Melatonin

Question
Hi there,

My question is about the use of melatonin as a daily dietary supplement. I do have problems falling asleep and was introduced to melatonin a number of years ago. Melatonin has proven helpful in inducing sleep. My daily dosage is 3mg. I'd like to know if it's safe to use melatonin (e.g. 3 mg) for long term? I have used it on and off for several years and have experienced an improved quality of sleep with no noticeable side effects. But I just wanted to make sure that this supplement is safe to be used as a daily dietary supplement.

Thank you.

Answer
Since no studies Are done on these supplements.you might .want to speak with your physician.I do know that all sleep suPPlements after awhile lose their potency.Yet eveyone reacts different.Some people after stoping melatonin find their sleep problems are worse.You might want to try a,glass of plain heated milk 15minutes before bed.Milk contains tryptoPhan a natural sleep inducer in all of us.What I would do is take the melatonin  for Six months than gradually reduce the dosage a quarter of a pill every seven days till u no longer are on it and don't however while you are reducing it. take the warm plain milk 15 minutes before bed each night.  Gradually wean yourself off the melatonin, and see if the plain milk does the trick. If it does great, the milk you can drink every night.  If the symptoms of insomnia occur, at least stay off the melatonin for a month then resume for another six months.  Most supplements the fda states one should take a break of it for at least a month then resume.  I also would like you to try these other ways for the insomnia.

TRY THESE TIPS RELIGIOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS BUT MANY HAVE SEEN RESULTS IN AS LITTLE AS TWO.

3 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME, STAY AWAY FROM, CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, CHOCOLATE, EXERCISE, CARAMEL COLORED SODA LIKE COKE AND PEPSI AND GINGER ALE. ALL THESE MAKE FOR RESTLESS SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME TAKE A HOT BATH. LATEST RESEARCH FROM JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT PUTTING THE HANDS UNDER THE HOT WATER, PALMS UP, SENDS IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN THAT IT IS TIME TO RELAX FOR SLEEP.

15 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, DRINK A GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK WHEN HEATED CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN, A NATUAL AMINO ACID SLEEP INDUCER.

WHEN YOU GET INTO THE BED TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, YOU ALSO CAN SET YOUR RADIO FOR SOFT MELLOW MUSIC HOWEVER,PUT IT ON A TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES. DO NOT TWIST AND TURN FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES. IF SO GET OUT OF BED,GO INTO ANOTHER ROOM AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO TV OR COMPUTER. WHEN YOU START TO DOZE, IMMEDIATELY GO BACK INTO THE BED. THIS RETRAINS THE BRAIN INTO THINKING THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR GOOD RECUPERATIVE SLEEP. DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU AWAKEN THRU THE NITE. IT WILL LESSON AS THE WEEKS GO ON.

IF AFTER 6 WEEKS, NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND ASK FOR THE NEAREST SLEEP DISORDER UNIT TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP MONITORED.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO SLEEPNET.COM FOR MORE SLEEP FORUMS.feel free to email again ,Karel

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis