Sleep Disorders/Unexpected long periods of sleep

Im 25 years old and last Saturday I experienced a strange sleeping event. I went to bed at 11pm Friday evening and woke up to my phone ringing at 5pm the next day. I had not woken up at all until then. I had not had an excessively long week, in fact I'd had the Monday off.

A week later, on the Friday evening I was sat on my bed and had last looked at the time at 8, the next thing I know its 11pm. I hadn't seemed to have even moved position.

Both times I have not had any trouble going to sleep the following night. I do feel very tired during the day, sometimes so much I can't think straight.

What do you think could be causing this?

Kind regards

It sounds to me that you could be suffering from narcolepsy because of your always being tired and wanting to sleep.  You need to contact your local hospital and ask them for the nearest sleep center.  You would need to get an overnight eeg test which is totally painless, They simply glue wires to your head and monitor your sleep for 24 hours.  If you have no sleep centers then you would need to visit a neurologist,however with medical advancement almost everyone has a sleep center near them.  This can be controlled with medication.  I suggest you also visit narcolepsy which explains narcolepsy in detail. You do not have to have all the symptoms to be diagnosed.  feel free to email again Karel

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis

all questions on sleep disorders,expert on narcolepsy,its symptoms

i have narcolepsy since age l6

past chairman of the american narcolepsy association
member of narcolepsy network