Sleep Disorders/desperate to sleep through the night

Question
I am about at my wits end. I work second shift, 2pm to 10:15 or 10:30pm. I drink soda for the caffeine from 2 to about 5pm, sometimes a little longer, say about 6pm. I get into bed to go to sleep right around 2am after taking melatonin 30 to 60 minutes beforehand. It takes me an hour to two hours to fall asleep. Then after 2-3 hrs I wake up and cannot go back to sleep right away. Sometimes this happens twice a night. When I have to get up for work I am very groggy many days and I hate it and some nights at work I am sleepy during most or all of my shift. Probably 3 out of my 5 working days I am sleepy most of my shift.  I take Wellbutrin at 1pm, 300 mg, and Latuda at 11pm, 60 mg.  I have talked to my psychiatrist and she hasn't really helped so far with my sleeping problems. I eat a pretty well balanced diet, but do need more fresh fruits and vegetables in it.  What can I do?  Should I try a sleeping pill (prescription)?  I have tried over the counter aids and they don't help. Benadryl and its main ingredient does not help at all. Other otc sleep aids are of no help either.  I just want to sleep an eight hour night straight through.  Is this ever going to happen again?

Answer
I am no md, a respiratory therapist with narcolepsy over 30 years.  Its a sleeping disorder.  Your problem may possibly arise in timing of your meds.   First thing the problem is the caffeine.  No caffeine after 3pm.  I also would ask my physician why are you taking Latuda so late at night.  Also if you come home at 10 at night.  You should not stay up until 2am, but rather eat something light and go straight to bed.  You have to switch your sleep clock to more of a normal routine.  I suggest you contact a sleep center and get your sleep evaluated as well as ask you psychiatrist if they know of a neuropharmacologist that you can see.  They would be more intuned with the medications, timing.  You might even try to google and see if you can email them and get some ideas if they can help you.  My guess is that's it the timings you are taking these medications because these meds can work for someone if they take it at 5pm and not work if they take it at 6pm.  Of course switching the times your body may be sleepier at first till you get use to it or it may kick right in. Unfortunately finding the right time is all trial and error. You need to keep records of exactly the times you take the meds and when the sleepiness starts and the insomnia begins, and when it eases up and try to see if there is a pattern. You might notice it happens after you take the Latuda.  I also have tips on insomnia. taking more sleep meds just leads into needing more and more.  I would work with what you are on first, but that is my opinion.  A sleep physician consult may also help shed some light on it.Your local hospital can refer you to one in your area. Here are the tips on insomnia.  You might first try them and see if they work first. Feel free to email again,Karel

INSOMNIA TIPS

DO THE FOLLOWING TIPS FOR AT LEAST 6-8 WEEKS , ALTHOUGH MANY HAVE SEEN
IMPROVEMENT IN THEIR INSOMNIA BEFORE THEN.

YOU MUST GO TO BED AND AWAKEN THE SAME TIME EVERY DAY.
AT LEAST   3 HOURS OR MORE BEFORE BEDTIME STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE, CARAMEL COLORED SODA, COKE , PEPSI, GINGER ALE, ROOT BEER, ALCOHOL, TEA, COFFEE, CHOCOLATE AND EXERCISE. ALL THESE INTERFERE WITH NORMAL SLEEP.

30 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME, TAKE A HOT BATH, AND IMMERSE HANDS PALMS UP UNDER THE WATER. LATEST RESEARCH FROM JOHN HOPKINS IS THAT IMMERSING THE HANDS IN HOT WATER, SEND IMPULSES TO THE BRAIN TO RELAX

15 MINUTES BEFORE BEDTIME , DRINK A  GLASS OF WARM PLAIN MILK. MILK CONTAINS TRYPTOPHAN , AN AMINO ACID THAT INDUCES SLEEP.  WHEN YOU GET INTO BED TAKE SOME LONG DEEP BREATHS. MAKE SURE ROOM IS DARK AND QUIET, NO TV ON, THIS ALSO INTERFERES WITH GOOD SLEEP.

IF YOU DO NOT FALL ASLEEP WITHIN 20 MINUTES, GET UP OUT OF BED ,GO INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM, AND READ A BOOK OR MAGAZINE, NO COMPUTER, OR TV.  WHEN YOU START TO DOZE OFF, GO BACK INTO THE BEDROOM.  DO THIS AS MANY TIMES AS YOU NEED TO, IF YOU WAKE UP THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT.  THIS WILL LESSON AS YOUR CYCLE ADJUSTS.  THIS TECHNIQUE TELLS THE BRAIN THAT THE BEDROOM IS FOR RECUPERATIVE SLEEP ONLY.

IF YOU STILL CONTINUE TO HAVE PROBLEMS, CONTACT YOUR LOCAL SLEEP CENTER. YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL CAN REFER YOU TO ONE TO HAVE YOUR SLEEP EVALUATED.  FOR FURTHER INFORMATION YOU CAN GO TO SLEEPNET.COM, NARCOLEPSY NETWORK, SLEEP APNEA.ORG  

Sleep Disorders

Karel Sleis