Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Kawasaki FJ180V- BS04 side oil drain plug?

Ray wrote at 2011-03-09 03:32:53
I just changed my oil on the same engine,the drain plug is on the bottom of the engine close to the shaft,it is a 1/2 inch if you can get a socket on to it I used a wrench since I could not get to mine with a socket wrench and then used a funnel to catch the oil.

George Pindris wrote at 2014-07-09 18:35:58
The recent iteration of this engine, (FJ 180V KAI), denoted by the suffix KAI does in fact have an oil drain plug on the side of the crankcase below the oil filter mounting. I am currently on a quest to ascertain the thread sizing so as to install a drain valve, such as Fumoto's S-type Quik Valve because using the supplied plug will create an unacceptable mess, not to mention the necessity of draining the fuel tank prior to your initial endeavor. Tipping the entire mower, although effective, is absurd, especially when your mower weighs 170 lbs., as does mine.  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

John Sullins

I can answer questions related to repair and maintenance of, lawn tractors, pushmowers, gas powered scooters, trimmers, chain saws, zero-turn lawn mowers and various other products powered by small engines and driven by hydraulics. I specialize in hard to solve problems and love a challenge. I must have detailed information to solve most problems and don't like to just change parts and hope for the best.

I have over ten years experience as a small engine mechanic in my current job, I have been the service manager for a local power equipment dealer for four of those ten years. Throughout my life I have been involved in repair of mechanical and electrical equipment in the workplace and at home.

Most of the education I have is on the job, although I am an expert certified technician with Kohler Engines. I attend the yearly update schools put on by Toro, Exmark, Cub Cadet, Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki, Echo, Poulan, Electrolux Home Products. I also completed the basic hydraulics course at Jackson Community College in Jackson, Michigan.

Expert Technician Certification from Kohler Engines