Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Briggs and Stratton 4.75Q on Murray 22" Died abruptly died while mowing

Brian wrote at 2010-04-30 20:32:21
Paul, I see you are now maxed out, so, not sure if you will see this or not.  I pulled off the plastic engine cover, then the metal engine shroud with rope starter. I did find the model number there,...yes it is the 10G902 Briggs.  Fuel primer works, has adequate and only about 6-10 hours use since last oil change).  I did try a new plug (in my initial post here) and have tried starting spray (ether,...and yes, I know its not good)removed coil/magneto assy and cleaned off some dirt and gunk...re-installed using a piece of plastic milk jug as a spacer between the magneto and flywheel.  Compression with your finger in spark plug hole seems good, but pressure and suction depending on the cycle. Primer is working.   I Plugged in the new plug to the HT lead, held the plug body against the cylinder head and spun the flywheel.....in both directions.....no spark,,....removed the ground wire from the coil and did it again,....and still no spark.  My educated guess is that the coil/magneto (armature??) is dead.....can this be perhaps checked for continuity with a multi meter?

Bob wrote at 2013-02-10 04:23:02
It could be the key in the fly wheel. If you hit something that usually breaks. Try removing the head cover and check valves and the fly wheel. Also never prime more than a few times, you can flood the engine. Goodluck

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

paul