Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Poulan Woodshark 1950 Fuel Lines

Steve wrote at 2012-06-15 20:12:25
That duckbill valve and star washer are from the fuel cap.  The rubber valve lets air into the fuel tank as fuel is consumed, but keeps it from leaking out the breather hole...the star washer retains the rubber valve inside the fuel cap.  

There is another piece, that is used to connect the pickup line (in the tank) to the line to primer bulb--about 1/4" long, with barbed fittings on each end.  It is connected to the pickup section of line in the tank, and somehow, the 'outer' line connects to the other end of it.  I haven't figured out how to connect it yet--the hose doesn't even want to pass thru the tank hole, located toward right side of tank, below right side of carburetor.

There's also a second line opening into the tank--smaller than the other opening, it's for the 'return' flow from primer bulb, and is located close to the primer bulb. I'm not sure if there was anything retaining this hose in the opening, it may have been a friction/compression fit. You'll have to pull carb to see & access these openings.

gmelen02 wrote at 2012-08-18 14:55:55
I have the same problem,the "duck-bill valve" goes on the inside(center) of the fuel tank cap, otherwise when you prime the chainsaw you will have fuel coming out the cap vent,you just push it in.

tewmac wrote at 2014-02-17 21:06:27
i have the same  part. i can't figure out where it goes. i have a 2010 craftsman chain saw. does it vent through the tank or the cap? it doesn't show on the parts schematic.  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology