Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/briggs engine

Question
QUESTION: I have a Craftsman 6 1/2 briggs engine that set up for a while and now runs well once it starts but apparently has a primer bulb problem.  I have never seen one with a hole in the center of the bulb which appears to have been made that way and is apparently intact..  I imagine it would be sealed by your finger when priming, but I don't feel the normal filling suction when priming.  i'm wondering if the source of fuel is clogged or if there is a checkvalve that is sticking?  I heard Briggs took over Tecumseh and this carb has the typical Tecumseh metal bowl on the underside.

ANSWER: Most of the Briggs float bowl carbs have a hole in the primer.  Does the engine start easy and run fine?
Eric

QUESTION: It is hard to start but runs fine

Answer
Usually a dirty carb will be hard to start and run poor.  

In either case I would remove, dis-assemble and clean the carb with compressed air from an air compressor.  Blow air through all the carb orifices.  

I would replace the air filter to carb gasket as they almost always break when removing the air cleaner base...a bad gasket will cause the primer not to function making it hard to start.

There are lots of You Tube videos on how to clean Briggs carbs.

Can you send me the engine model, type and code number so I can verify which carb you have?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones