Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/chain tension on an old craftsman/Murray mower.

Question
I have an old craftsman mower,  502,254170, which I believe is really a Murray. Anyway, I have turned it into an electric cart.  I am wondering how tight to make the chain. The cart runs quiet on the flat and up hill but when I go down hill it has click click noise. Not sure if the chain is slipping or the transmission is goofie. Does it in any gear though.

Again, the question is how tight to make the chain.
Thanks
Bill

Answer
Hi Bill

Tighten the chain to about half what you have it @ present ( so make the deflection  1/4 inch)
make sure the  peerless gearbox  sprocket teeth are not broken / damaged , make sure the  differential / final drive sprocket is in good condition - no broken teeth or damaged , hooked over , make chain is not worn  and riding over the tops of sprockets when unit is driven down hill ,

suspect  trans is peerless 700 series  with   peerless 100 series differential , (it  has the final drive sprocket bolted to it) using 4 x long bolts holding sprocket and differential cases together  

here is web site for parts breakdown

www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/parts-model/craftsman-parts/riding-mow

select drive system, and diagram will open up

if noise still there afer addressing any other suspect issues it may be in the gear box or fianl drive units  ( but check simple things  1st )

cheers hope this helps

paul  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

paul