Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Older Simplicity Snowblower

QUESTION: Hello Eric. I have a 30 year old Simplicity Snow-Away snowblower with a 7 h.p. Briggs.  It has has fairly heavy use over the past 15 years that I have owned it.  I have replaced belts and the auger bearing.  The housing is in so-so shape and getting a little rusty.  Am I on borrowed time with this thing?  I LOVE how it throws the snow!  The engine is pretty smokey on startup but runs well.  There is no replacement engine recommended for this unit.  What do you think about these older machines?  Should I start looking for a replacement?  I know it is difficult without seeing it...

ANSWER: Well, they don't make them like they used to.  With that said they do not make parts anymore either.  To be honest you may be better off getting a newer machine that they make parts for.  Have you looked  at the late model Toro machines?

QUESTION: Not many used Toro's in my area.  I am looking at a 10 year old Simplicity 1080.  Light use, well maintained, asking $700.  Many thanks

How wore is the bucket?  A really wore bucket indicates a lot of use.  Are the skids and knife wore out?  Another indicator of use?

Is there any plug to check the auger gear box grease?  Are the belts dry and wore?

I've been down the road of "fixer ups" several times...used to be worth it but these days parts can get real expensive real quick.  

Are there any chains in the drive system on the one you are looking at?  Chains will need to be replaced at that age.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology