Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Craftsman snowblower

I have a Craftsman 5/22 Model # 536.886530 with a Tecumseh motor. I picked it up at an auction with no manual. Motor is a pull start. Motor turns over but wont start. I pulled carb off and cleaned and sprayed all passages. I replaced pump primer hose to carb which was split. Still wont start with fresh gas and new spark plug. It acts like its not getting fuel. Could carb still be dirty? Gas line from tank flows freely. Could I be way off and the spark might be weak to zilch? How could I test other than visually by taking plug out of motor and re-inserting into plug wire and try to pull start?

A great and a quick way to test the ignition and compression is to try and start the engine be priming.  Priming involves squirting fuel directly into the carb or spark plug hole.  I doubt spark is the issue .  Try priming and let me know if the engine tries to start.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology