Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Peerless Transmission Issue

Hi Eric,

Hope you can assit with my problem. I have a Ex Mark 36 Metro (Model M15KA362) belt drive with Peerless Transmission. According to the manual the transmission is model 700-070A five speed/1 reverse. I have had the mower for 6 years with no issues. Just recently in my last couple of uses I noticed when trying to shift into gear it had became hard. Last week it it finally wouldn't allow me to shift into gear at all. I have taken the transmission apart and don't see really any wear at all on anything. When trying to move the shift collar to move the shift keys into the gearset the keys just don't seem to want to compress enough and move into the gearset. I took them out and they look ok and move smoothly in their slots. Even though they look ok do you think that they are my problem? I don't see what else could be causing the no shift issue. Please let me know what you think. If you believe they are my issue where can I purchase them? Thanks Stuart

Replace the shift keys.  Is the shifter fork pins, fan detent and detent roller ball wore?  Usually these parts are find and just need to be cleaned and re-lubed.

Copy and past this link:

There may be a special direction the spacer washers are installed and make sure the shaft bushings tangs are installed properly in the case before re-assembly.  Pay attention to the washers.

I'd also check the input shaft needle bearings and shaft.  Have had to replace these severl times.

Finally, replace the internal chain...have had way too many of these break causing a lot more problems...cracked cases, busted gears.

Replace the o-rings and grease and the gear box should last another 10 years.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology