Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Riding Mower won't start

Question
I have a Scotts Riding Mower made by John Deere Model S1742 made 2000.  Briggs and Sratton Engine Model #311777 type 0143-E1 code 000306ZE. I have a couple of questions.  When i try to start it the Solenoid on the carburetor just makes a clicking sound.  When i asked the guy at the repair shop he said to cut it off.  Not sure if that will work.  I have replaced the Starter and all cables, new battery, new needle in carburetor.  I know for a fact it is not the spark plug or seat safety.  I did find a wire coming from the relay that has a 15 amp fuse that is not plugged into anything, and i can't find were to plug in (not sure if it has to plugged into anything).  The parts list calls it a Harness kit with a clip and 15 amp fuse (fuse looks good).  If anyone can please help me i would be very thankful.

Answer
Will the electric starter spin the engine when you try to start the mower?

The click you here should be the anti-afterfire solenoid working.  Have you removed the solenoid and watched it work when you turn the key to the start position?  It may have to be grounded if there is only one wire connected to the solenoid.  The solenoid plunger should retract, go in a little, when it is energized.  When you should the key off the plunger should extend.

Let me know.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones