Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Small Engines(Lawn Mowers,etc)/stator

Question
QUESTION: Just read a response relating to stator on Briggs & Stratten and it had relevence to my problem. I have a 1968 wheelhorse charger 10, 1-7931, Tecumseh engine HH100-115095B.
A friend/mechanic checked it & recommends replacing the stator & coil assy (No spark & the assy. output is in excess of 400 ohms). Every parts look-up I do shows the HH100 series, but none show my particular engine. Most of the other HH100 series I reviewed show the part as #254 on the schematic/picture. Scrolling to the parts list, the "stator & coil assy" is not listed.
Found a few on ebay & one looks like the right part but I'd hate putting out $135 by picture alone. Know how I can ID the exact assy. part #? Any suggestions for source to inquire to purchase?

ANSWER: Just to be clear, when you say magneto you are refering to the ignition module and the engine is not producing any spark.  Have you checked the points and condenser?

Does the engine have points and condenser?  Looking at the parts diagram that is one heavy duty engine...should last forever.

Repair manual link:

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehcastironmanual.pdf

Let me know if the engine has points because I did see any mention in the service manual.  However, very few small engines offered electronic or solid state igntion systems in the late 60s.  Most solid state ignitions did not become standard until the early 1980s.

Eric

QUESTION: Engine does not have points/condenser.
Checking the original book parts list, the engine is listed as Engine Assy.-Lauson.  According to other sources, the flywheel has 2 pins, one higher then the other.
Thanks for your efforts to assist to date. It is appreciated.

Answer
I was afraid you did not have points.  Unfortunately you are very limited on options for your engine.  You can install a Nova II igntion module or retrofit to points.

You could call around you local repair shops and see if any of them have an igntion tester such as an Imrie 3000.  Not too many shops will have them as they are fairly expensive and it's usually cheaper, for the shop, just to replace the ignition module/stator.

http://www.imrie.com.au/model_info/details_3000.aspx

Are you located in Colorado?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones