Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Toro personal Pace mower Model #20017

Question
Rear wheel drive, when I pick it up rear wheels spin but when you put it down it does not pull, or very little. Have tried adjusting cable and no help. May be belt needs replacing but I cant find in the Manuel I have how to get to it to replace, as well as not knowing what size to purchase. How do you disassemble it to get the belt off and could this be my problem. Any assistance is appreciated.

Answer
Hi Hayden

here is web site for parts  breakdown
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=20017%2C+22%22+Recycler+Lawn

when was it last working well ? and has it ever had a new drive belt   pt number 91-2258 you can purchase from www.partstree.com
it it highly possible that the belt is worn and not hookling up well on the drive and driven pulleys, be sure that the nut holding rear pulley together has not come undone / loose   

to replace belt , remove blade  and belt cover from steel body housing , remove blade adapter  and un-hook belt  from belt guide on rear gearbox - replace belt  , and fit to rear pulley and inside rear belt guides, refit, blade adapter  and make sure belt fits into vee groove on blade adapter- fit belt cover to steel body housing, - refit blade and bolt - tighten all fully - , make sure  drive cable is connected where it was removed from if it was removed
be sure the wheel gears and pinions are all ok  and are free  to move with no binding  
make sure there is good tension on  new belt  try unit out

hope this helps

cheers paul  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

paul