Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/5 hp compressor

I have a compressor with a 5 hp Honda motor. It ran fine for 14 mo.and is basicaly new. It will run great  for about 2  hrs then the problem starts. When the tank gets full (120psi) and the "button" pop's out to slow the idle, it will act like its out of gas and slowwwly die. If you release air on time it will keep running. But sometimes it just dies. Then when you start it back up it will run good till the tanks fill again (120psi) and it will try to die again. Were ok as long as we keep nailing and not letting the tanks get to 120psi but thats tuff to do. As soon as it hits 120psi the pressure button opens, and it starts to die... BUT after about an hour of that ( dieing 3-4 times because the button popped) It will die regardless of pressure. It will run normal (great) for 20-40 seconds and just die. After sitting (not running) for some time (up to 2-3hrs) It runs great again for 2 hrs and the story repeats...

Is there a cable connecting the pop off valve to the carburetor?  Is the cable or pop off valve bad?

Water in the pop off valve or compressor tank?

What brand of compressor do you have and what is the model number?

If you dis-connect the pop off valve from the engine will the engine idle normally?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology