Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/9hp Craftsman Snowblower-Stuck Governor?

Question
Hi Eric,
I have a 2003 9hp Craftsman Snowblower, I always run Stable Fuel
additive (red version) and a little Thermo-Aid.

I ran the tank empty till the machine shut off, Last spring.
Now in Dec I filled the tank and pressed the primer a couple
times and it started right up.
It is running FULL BORE, and won't throttle down with the
speed lever. (full bore meaning wide, wide, WIDE OPEN!!!

It can be shut off with the speed lever.
It sets outside all season, Can I spray PB-Blaster to free
something up?

Model # 536.887992
2003-12.17
Serial # 7472635-131V023

Answer
IS your engine model number 143.049001?

I know the engine is a Tecumseh engine but the model number is not crossing to a Tecumseh number.  It really does not matter for you issue is either carb or governor.

Are you sure the carburetor butterfly and butterfly shaft are not sticking or binding?

Check out the links below and see which one if for your engine.  Most likely you will have a Tecumseh HSK (Horizontal Snow King) 4-cycle engine and not a cast iron or 2-cycle engine.

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_Cast-Iro

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_2-Cycle_

This should be the link:
http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_L-Head_E

Check the carb for binding/sticking, make sure the governor spring is in place, and finally, if necessary, try performing a static governor adjust.

There are lots of videos on You Tube on cleaning carbs, adjusting governors and replacing governor spools.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones