Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/not sure why go kart won't move

QUESTION: I'm having a few problems with my go kart i recently bought and im not sure if its the clutch or motor. I bought a new clutch and put it on there but it keeps slipping and get REALLY hot. But with the motor. It cranks up first pull but when the motor it only ran with the choke on so i had to turn the idle up a lot just so it will run with tje choke off. so it idles high and the whole kart tries to move forward when its idleing but when i give it throttle the clutch just slips. and the motor doesnt seem like its reving up right like it bogging down. I can get the kart going by pushing it but its slow and wants to cut out when I'm giving it full throttle. i cleaned the carb but I'm not sure if its the rings or something else. thanks!

ANSWER: If you remove the clutch, does the engine run normally?

With the clutch removed, can you turn the wheels easily by hand?

I would start with the engine first, no clutch, and get it running right first.

Is the engine model a Briggs 130xxx?

QUESTION: The engine is a Honda GC160 5.0hp. I tried adjusting the motor with no clutch and i still had to turn the idle way up so it would run with no choke. and its almost like it revs up then revs down a little bit like losing spark or fuel or compression. Yes you can turn the wheels easy even with the clutch on.

Have you checked the valve clearances?  Valve specs at this link:

You'll have to sift through the various languages in this service manual to find it, but the procedure should be in here.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology