Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/S2046 Lawn Tractor starts but won't stay running

QUESTION: I recently purchased a Scotts S2046 20HP V-Twin from a family member that was sitting a long time.  I've replaced fluids, and gas and fuel pump.  Engine will start, but will immediately die as if it is not getting gas in the carb.  Took carb off, verified that gas is getting pumped to carb. Don't have books.  Am I missing something in the carb that might be causing engine to not run after kick over?

ANSWER: Did you dis-assemble the carb and blow compressed air from an air compressor through all the carb holes?

Briggs or Kohler engine?

QUESTION: Briggs engine.  I took the carb apart, soaked in carb cleaner for a day , and reassembled.  It now runs, but needs choke.  I think we're on the right path.  I was thinking that the carb (bowl with electric plug on bottom only) might need replacing.  Will research and see if I can find a replacement.  Thanks!

I'm betting the carb is still dirty.  I have had to clean some carbs a couple of times to get them to run properly.

I would test the anti-afterfire solenoid but if the engine starts it's a good sign the solenoid is working.  Check out the link below.

I would make sure there are no leaks in the intake system as this will cause you to need the choke.  Check the bolts to make sure everything is tight and check the gaskets to make sure they are sealing.  

What is the engine model, type and code number?  Also, what brand of carb is on the engine?  The carb will be stamped with the carb manufacturer's name.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology